C++17

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 26 23:57:22 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 at 03:06:35 UTC, Sergei Degtiarev
wrote:
> I think, you see it at wrong angle. Yes, I am C++ programmer,
> and I love it, and I anticipate C++17 coming. And I also like
> D, and hope it eventually be another language I will be as
> fluent as I'm in C++ now, but I'm no way going to be
> "converted".

Please note that I am talking about getting C++ programmers to
pick D for their weekend programming, not their work-related
programming.

C++ is a good recruitment platform because compiler programmers
should:

1. like low level programming
2. understand the hardware
3. like to make code fast
4. be able to drop down to C/C++ for interfacing with backends

But you also want them to have a good theoretical background.
That makes for a much smaller population to recruit from.

> If you are going to recruit those who about to abandon C++, you
> will have the worst part.

I don't think so. Most people with a comp. sci. background has
known that C++ is a flawed language from it's inception. Those
people are better qualified to do improve the language. What
keeps C++ rolling is that no other language provides the full
feature set in the right packaging. + frameworks.

> Memory management review in D is a bright idea, and challenging
> project, it might be a dream project for some, so wouldn't it
> be better spoken as "attracting" C++ people instead of
> "converting" them? Sure, you will get much more enthusiasm
> talking about it this way.

Ok, but if they don't favour D over C++, will they then have
enough interest in D to work on the compiler + tooling?

C++ and Rust have many more people working on compilers and
tooling, so over time D either needs to expand the number of core
"weekend" contributors or reduce the scope of the project.