C++17

Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 27 08:48:24 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 at 15:14:07 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> All language comparisons involve "bashing" other languages.
> Otherwise there is no answer when someone asks "Why language X
> rather than language Y?"

  Sometimes it's just one language feature (or lack of it) that
makes (or breaks) the decision to use it. If you step back and
consider a starting point from which all discussions must
eventually flow, that starting point is most likely C (I doubt
assembly language is considered since it's too low level). So
invariably there MUST be comparison and bashing between
languages. Truthfully I'll happily bash C, it has a horrible
memory management model that requires way too careful of
management. But that doesn't mean it's a bad language, in many
cases it's still a very very fine language, especially for
writing code for PIC chips and the like.

> http://www.oreilly.com/programming/free/files/why-rust.pdf
>
> That's not a random forum post. It's a document promoting Rust,
> linked on the Rust homepage, and produced by O'Reilly. Here are
> a few quotes:
>
> <snip>

  All of the quotes seem well thought out, and truthful. If Rust
provides a good way to deal with and take advantage of the
features, then they will probably get a wider audience.

> And ironically, in this very thread, a C++ programmer has
> called D a toy language.

  Toy language? I recall BASIC was considered a beginners language
back in the day, and yet so much code is written with it. True
since the language was more fully implemented on DOS with Qbasic
and later Visual Basic; But as long as you can get the work done
then I wouldn't see a problem