Google Summer of Code 2016

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 28 13:07:58 PST 2016

On 2016-01-28 16:20, Dicebot wrote:

> I think it is very important to focus on polishing dstep instead of
> creating more and more imperfect tools. In the end any approach which
> doesn't use existing mature C compiler frontend is doomed to make
> binding mistakes.
>
> Random suggestions for improving dstep:
> - implement support for C++ clang API using new shiny dmd features (it
> tends to have more features than C one)

I would like to avoid this until there's absolutely no other way to do it.

A couple of other ideas:

* Getting the D code more looking like the C code. For example, the same
order for the symbols as the C code has. Currently it outputs all
variables first, then all types and all functions last

* Add support for comments

* Generated libclang bindings. These are now manually created, mostly
for the above two reasons. Ideally it would be possible to generate
bindings almost exactly like the manually created ones [1]

[1] https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dstep/blob/master/clang/c/Index.d

--
/Jacob Carlborg