D vs Rust

lobo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 28 15:04:27 PST 2016

On Thursday, 28 January 2016 at 22:30:51 UTC, nbro wrote:
> I have loved C++ when I first started learning it a pair of
> years ago (then I stopped for some time for some work reasons),
> and quite recently I have discovered D, which seems apparently
> a better language from the design point of view, especially in
> supporting OO design and modularisation, maybe I am just wrong
> since I know just a little of D so far, but I really had some
> problems just in setting up a simple OO project, i.e. importing
> classes, there are .h and .cpp files, etc, which only make
> everything confusing and make you learn stupid things instead
> of being productive. D also seems to have a cleaner syntax in
> general. C++ is becoming more and more a mess because they keep
> introducing new functionalities to make C++ compete with new
> languages, and I'm starting hating it. Languages should not
> just be powerful but simple enough to be productive.
>
> Apart from this, what are the real advantages of D over Rust?
> They seem to be similar languages in what they want to achieve.
> Rust seems to be younger and the syntax seems to be slightly
> different from the C-like syntax. I am not such concerned or
> interested with the syntax advantages of a language over the
> other, but more about in general what one does better than the
> other. Overall, which one has a better design and a more
> promising future? Which one is more performant, in which
> situations? If you could answer all these questions it would be
> nice. I'm still deciding which one to learn and invest my time
> on, but I would like to have also your more experienced and
> expert opinion.

Learn both. You will be a better programmer for it and will be in
a position to make up your own mind which one *you* prefer.

I come from a heavy C/C++/Java/Python background and for me
productivity is paramount. Syntax is very important because it
has an impact on my productivity. I find Rust syntax really
annoying. Little things in D like UFCS and optional parens make a
huge difference. Big things like D templates and compile time
reflection power is so easy to tap into and use that it drives
Rust into the ground. For me memory safety is not a problem. Yes
it bites occasionally, but never enough that its worth giving up
productivity everywhere else.

bye,
lobo