C++17

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 29 03:08:41 PST 2016

On Friday, 29 January 2016 at 10:43:08 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/cpp/comments/41uflq/bjarne_stroustrup_doing_an_ama/
>
> Mentions D.

Since it is in danish, let me quickly translate the informative
sections:

Bjarne Stroustrup (translated from danish): The safety rules is
part of the more extensive guidelines
(https://github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines ) and supported by a
small library (https://github.com/microsoft/gsl ) .  We have
"annotations" which can be used to neutralize the rules (as an
"unsafe" annotation). We minimize their usage. Our goal is 100%
safety and I assume that we will get as close to that goals as
any language that can work directly with hardware. We already
have 100% resource safety, and that is better than languages like
Java and C#. I think all languages will become better in these
areas.»

On garbage collection:

Bjarne Stroustrup (translated from danish): Yes, programming
language creators and researchers have always been fascinated by
garbage collection. I think that is a mistake: GC is not general
- it cannot deal with non-memory resources - and is not ideal -
it introduces a central facility in (otherwise) distributed
systems. The good solution is to not produce garbage:
http://www.stroustrup.com/resource-model.pdf . RAII is central in
my ideas about programming.

He also acknowledges scandinavian contributions to programming
languages, the OO languages Simula and Beta.