D is crap

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 3 00:04:58 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 3 July 2016 at 06:42:23 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> small summary of the starting post: "i am an idiot, and i can't
> use D. of course, you all guilty of my idiocity."

No, it is the result of beta-quality.  You see the same reaction
in other languages/frameworks when they claim to be
near-production ready while not having a stable state.

Here's the core problem:

1. Define a stable set of functionality.
2. Implement it.
3. Improve on it for 3-10 years without changing the
functionality.
4. Obtain extensive tooling.

Developers generally underestimate how much work it is to bring
something from stable to what is commonly expected from
production quality tooling.

D is pretty much somewhere between (1) and (2), will most likely
not reach (3) and is far away from (4).

In C++ it is somewhat different, C/old C++ is at (4), C++11 is at
(3), C++14 is at (2/3), C++17 is at (1).