D is almost the exact language I need...

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 3 01:31:31 PDT 2016

On 7/3/2016 12:21 AM, Charles Hixson via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I do wish that phobos included a D wrapper around SQLite,

There was one recently announced.

> I'd also like to be able to depend on class finalizers being called.
> Sometimes I wrap a class in a struct just so I can depend on the finalizer.

That's the way to do it.

> The last time I checked DDoc stopped working after encountering an extern "C"
> block in a file.

I'm not aware of this. Is there a bug report filed?

> DDoc could use considerable work in formatting. I'd like to be able to globally control the font attributes
> of classes, structs, aliases, enums.

DDoc relies on having a user-supplied xxx.ddoc file to provide the formatting,
css, etc.

> I'd like to be able to document private
> routines or not depending on a (compiler) switch.

I'm not sure what the point of that would be. Private functions shouldn't be
called by anything outside of the file, and you already have the file open in
the editor when working on it. But you can always submit an enhancement request
for it on bugzilla.

> Most of my needs are for run time flexibility rather than for more compile time
> flexibility.  E.g., I'd like to be able to declare a statically sized array from
> a parameter.

You can do it more or less with alloca(). I know C99 has this feature, and some
people swear by it, but I just don't think it pulls its weight.

> I feel sort of guilty for "complaining" this way when I've been devoting all my
> efforts to my own projects, but you did, essentially, invite comments.

If something good can come from it, it's good.