D is crap

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 3 02:42:35 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 3 July 2016 at 04:37:02 UTC, D is crap wrote:

> I'm sorry but it seems too much focus on enhancements while
> there are too many bugs and lack of tools to actually do
> anything useful.
>
> I'm sorry if this hurts some of you guys feelings but it is
> fact that D sucks as a whole. A modern programming language
> should be modern, and D is not one of those languages. It is
> built as from cobbling together disparate parts that don't work
> together. The more it is used and added on to the worse it gets.

That was an entertaining rant, dare I say well written and with a
few actionnable points maybe.

I fear that your perception of problems are worse that the
problems themselves in most cases though, perhaps to make a
stronger point. For example choosing the 1970s compilation model
with object files was probably the only possible decision.

Windows support isn't that bad -except- for the occasional sc.ini
tweak when you don't use VS and DMD installers in the right
order, and VisualD works well. I don't really see what is missing
when compared to the C++ experience.

You are right about documentation but there are efforts in this
very direction
The fact is that rants about D complain about more and more
elaborated and "end-userish" issues. People now expects

D is 10 years old, perhaps more, but refining the end-user
experience is much more recent than that. It all is coming
together recently so your expectations went up at the same time.

I feel the heart of the argument is that D is something that you
have to get into to use it, it's not really something that you
can almost avoid learning and just use (like say, you could write
bad python scripts pretty quickly). In other words D has high
interest rates but there is an initial entry cost.