D is crap

Schrom, Brian T via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 3 10:55:05 PDT 2016

On 7/2/16 11:27 PM, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to write this. Let me see if I can help.
>

> This is true. I'm interested in which of these have caused you problems.
> Naturally, people in the forum are going to debate the edge cases, as they do in
> every language. It isn't necessary to use those edge cases to write very
> successful code, however.

A semi related experience is that I was using dlangui successfully on
the Mac, and ported to a windows system I had and it worked no issues.
However, then I tried to deploy to the 1/2 dozen windows setups we have
and it segfaults in a different manner on each setup.  I'm sure it's
related to dlls, initialization, and packaging but it makes for a
difficult and unfavorable experience.  This is reproducible with the
example programs distributed with dlangui (some crash, some run).  If
the CI testers had covered a reasonable plethora of windows
configurations/versions, this would have been identified.  (One can make
the same argument about my development environment too.)

I then thought that maybe LDC would have been a better experience, but
on windows, it comes with it's own case of worms...so I ran out of time
before getting that to work either.

I've not had time to investigate the underlying cause, and when I do,
I'll submit a bug report.  I desperately want better tools and think D
has potential, I just needed them yesterday. ;)