D is crap

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 4 02:37:41 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 3 July 2016 at 04:37:02 UTC, D is crap wrote:
[snip]

I seriously don't know what to make of this post. It's a random
compilation of complaints made about D over the last couple of
years that lacks depth and useful information. As such, it could
be mere trolling.

If the poster on the other hand is sincere, then I suppose s/he's
a programming novice that is confused and put off by anything
that doesn't have an IDE to hold his or her hand at every step -
which is not uncommon. But to get going with D you just need
`dmd` and a text editor, possibly `dub` for convenience. IMO, D
doesn't need IDE's as much as other languages (Java needs an IDE
because of tons of boiler plate, C++ because of C++).

Also, error messages are often the same, so after a while you
know exactly what's wrong when a certain message appears. This is
also true of Objective-C, C, Java etc. If compilation fails
immediately, it's most likely a syntax error and you will see
something like  `Error: found '{' when expecting ')'` somewhere.
A bit of patience and common sense can get you a long way.

The reason why this post is not taken too seriously is not
because people here are religious about D - a reproach that is
often used to prevent any real discussion. No, it is because it
sounds like an amazon review where someone ordered a book in a
foreign language and gives it one star saying "I'm a beginner and
the vocabulary used is too difficult, this book sucks!" Sorry,
but that's how it came across to me.