Using electron for IDE development

Basile B. via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 4 12:07:21 PDT 2016

On Monday, 4 July 2016 at 18:25:51 UTC, tcak wrote:
> As far as I known, and FEEL, one of the biggest problems of IDE
> development is cross platform user interface development.
>
> I haven't started using, but Electron seems like a good tool to
> develop applications by using HTML, JS, CSS. Because it is
> based on node.js, it can run on many platforms.
>
> There are many HTML based syntax highlighters already.
>
> Would this type of development be causing any licensing, or any
> other type of problem in the future for us? Any thoughts?

Based on my user experience with GitKraken I'd say that if it's
faisable it's gonna be a shitty and slow IDE, and certainly not
standing in a nice monolithic executable, i.e the distribution
would an awfull bag of files, librariesn etc.

Also to think that it will automagically solve cross platform
compatibilities is delusional (e.g gitKraken has never worked for
me on Windows).

On the other hand, people seem to be happy with VSCode, which is
also made with this platform...but by many more ppl.