D is crap

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 5 18:30:46 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 5 July 2016 at 23:56:48 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/5/2016 2:44 PM, ketmar wrote:
>> anyway, fixing long-standing bug with `align()` being ignored
>> on stack variables
>> will allow to use SIMD on x86.
>
> Not really. The alignment requirement has to be done by all
> functions, whether they use SIMD or not.

nope. it should be done only for the data that participating in
SIMD. and this can be perfectly solved by fixing `align()`
issues. some bit operations to adjust ESP won't hurt, if people
want SIMD: SIMD will give much bigger win.

>>> 4. people wanting high performance are going to be using 64
>>> bits anyway
>> so i'm not in a set of "people". ok.
>
> I'm curious about why you require 32 bits.

and i'm curious why everyone is so amazed by 64-bit systems. none
of my software is using more than 2GB of RAM. why should i pay
for something i don't need? like, all pointers are magically
twice bigger. hello, cache lines, i have a present for you!