D is crap

qznc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 6 03:26:27 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 6 July 2016 at 01:30:46 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> and i'm curious why everyone is so amazed by 64-bit systems.
> none of my software is using more than 2GB of RAM. why should i
> pay for something i don't need? like, all pointers are
> magically twice bigger. hello, cache lines, i have a present
> for you!

The advantage of compiling for AMD64 is that the compiler can
assume a lot of extensions like the SSE bunch. If you want to
distribute a binary for x86 you only have the 386 instructions.
Ok, 686 is probably common enough today. For more special
instructions, you could guard them and provide a fallback.

One example: To convert a floating point value to integer on 386,
you need to store it to memory and load it again. Makes sense, if
you floating point stuff is handled by a co-processor, but today
this is completely integrated. SSE added an extra instruction to
avoid the memory detour.

GCC has a switch (-mx32) to store pointers as 32bit on a 64bit
system. That is probably very close to what you want.