D is crap

Luís Marques via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 7 18:17:55 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 3 July 2016 at 06:23:05 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to write this. Let me see if I can
> help.

Wow, this was very well handled. Thanks for keeping your head
cool and answering in a constructive, friendly and informative
manner. It's even more admirable coming from someone who says he
used not to be exactly the most "people person" / good boss /
group leader, or whatever the expression was.

> Sometimes I idly wonder what would have happened if D were
> available in the 80's. Sort of like if you put a modern car for
> sale in the 1960's.

I've also thought about that from time to time. I think D would
have been very "mainstream-successful". Starting from where it
actually started, I think things have worked out well for D,
despite its still limited success. Looking back all of these
years I think that D's marketing mistake was the garbage
collection. Given its target audience and design trade-offs, I
believe adoption of the language was disproportionally affected
by that choice. If D had started with stronger support for nogc,
even at the cost of delaying some other nice features, I believe
adoption would have been quite stronger (and more easily
snowballed) -- irrespective of the actual engineering merit of
that D variant vs the true D. (it would also have avoided all the
current piecemeal work of trying to remove GC allocation from
Phobos, etc.; also, notice that nogc marketing would probably
have been even more important in the 80s).