Blocking points for further D adoption

dalailambda via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 8 00:51:22 PDT 2016

> It's been suggested that DMD/LDC/GDC could be combined into a
> bundle, say DCC, and when you call
>
> DCC hello.d
>
> it will call dmd hello.d,
>
> and if you call
>
> DCC -fast hello.d
>
> it will call ldc hello.d or gdc hello.d
>
> This will give newcomers a different experience.

I'm wondering if you couldn't achieve DMD's compilation speed in
LDC by turning off some of the optimisation passes for debug
builds. I understand that it will probably still be slower to
compile, but if it's a negligible difference, and the community
can fully support a single compiler I think that would be really
good for D as a whole.