D is crap

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 9 04:10:22 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 9 July 2016 at 08:06:54 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 July 2016 at 07:52:57 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> removed the GC
>> replaced it with automatic reference counting.
>
> you *do* know that refcounting *is* GC, do you? ;-)

And that's a very important point, because the choice of RC vs
other types of GC ignores the fact that they're both GC, and old
school programmers didn't want anything to do with a "feature"
that would slow down their code. RC would have been an even worse
choice when D started because it is [claimed to be] slower than
other types of GC. It's been a long time now, but I don't recall
many arguments against Java's GC because of pauses. The objection
was always that it would make the code run more slowly.