D is crap

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 9 05:05:02 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 9 July 2016 at 11:10:22 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 July 2016 at 08:06:54 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> On Saturday, 9 July 2016 at 07:52:57 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
>> wrote:
>>> removed the GC
>>> replaced it with automatic reference counting.
>>
>> you *do* know that refcounting *is* GC, do you? ;-)
>
> And that's a very important point, because the choice of RC vs
> other types of GC ignores the fact that they're both GC, and
> old school programmers didn't want anything to do with a
> "feature" that would slow down their code. RC would have been
> an even worse choice when D started because it is [claimed to
> be] slower than other types of GC. It's been a long time now,
> but I don't recall many arguments against Java's GC because of
> pauses. The objection was always that it would make the code
> run more slowly.

I remember reading an article by Apple about their GC in
Objective-C and they said that it was a generational GC and that
some objects would not be collected at all (if too old), if I
remember correctly. Apparently it wasn't good enough, but that's
about 7 years ago, so my memory might have been freed of some
details :-)