Vision for the D language - stabilizing complexity?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 10 02:16:24 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 10 July 2016 at 04:13:07 UTC, Meta wrote:
> I agree with Walter here. Scheme is not a language that you can
> generally do useful things in. If you want to do anything
> non-trivial, you switch to Racket (which is not as minimalistic
> and "pure" as Scheme).

Define what you mean by a useful and clean language? I take
useful to mean that it has been used for useful programming. And
clean that it follows a principled and coherent design.

Both Scheme and Pascal are useful. Scheme is also elegant. For
any reasonable definition of "useful" and "elegant".

If you compare D to other languages you'll find a wide array of
languages that are useful and way more principled than D.

"useful" is not a good excuse for not cleaning up a develpment
environment.