Go's march to low-latency GC

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 10 16:30:46 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 9 July 2016 at 23:12:10 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Yah, I was thinking in a more general sense. Plenty of
> improvements of all kinds are within reach. -- Andrei

Yes, but hardly anything that would allow us to do partial
collections.
And without that you always have to scan the full live heap, this
can't scale to bigger heaps, there is no way to scan a GB sized
heap fast. So either we facilitate to get by with a small GC
heap, i.e. more deterministic MM, or we spent a lot of time to
make some partial collection algorithm work. Ideally we do both
but the former is a simpler goal.

The connectivity based GC would be a realistic goal as well, only
somewhat more complex than the precise GC. But it's unclear how
well it will work for typical applications.