exceptions vs error codes

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 10 22:21:16 PDT 2016

On Monday, 11 July 2016 at 04:27:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/10/2016 10:03 AM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
>> Yes, this has been discussed quite heavily in the past. It is
>> both
>> possible and a good idea, but it won't happen. This is quite
>> typical for
>> possible and good ideas around here... :-)
>

> When has D ever done anything right in your eyes? Just curious!

The original plan, to redo C++ by creating a simpler formulation
of the same programming model was a good plan.

Inheriting many of the same problems as C++ and adding a slew of
new ones was not the best move. In the case of exceptions you
could've done better as you could generate meta-information that
go beyond the dumb C++ manual include-file + basic linkage model.
No need for D exceptions to choose the slow C++ exception
handling version.

You made D incompatible with C++, yet is trying too hard to make
it a little bit compatible with it. I think you should make a
choice, either make D fully compatible or cut all ties. Modern
C++ is 80% header files and templates, linkage does not get you
much compatibility these days.