D is crap

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 11 04:59:51 PDT 2016

On Monday, 11 July 2016 at 09:30:37 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Lisp or SmallTalk)[1]. D couldn't have afforded not to have GC
> when it first came out. It was expected of a (new) language to
> provide GC by then - and GC had become a selling point for new
> languages.

This is not true, it is just wishful thinking. D was harmed by
the GC, not propelled by it. I am not missing any point, sorry.
Just go look at what people who gave up on D claim to be a major
reason, the GC scores high...

> It wasn't demanding. I wrote a lot of code in Objective-C and
> it was perfectly doable.

Of course it was doable, but developers had trouble getting it
right. In Objective-C Foundation you have to memorize what kind
of ownership functions return. A responsibility which ARC is
relieving the developer from. Autorelease-pools does not change
that, and you have to take special measures to avoid running out
of memory with autorelease pools as it is a very simple
region-allocator (what Walter calls a bump--allocator) so
autorelease pools are not a generic solution.

Objective-C had a very primitive manual RC solution that relied
on conventions. They added a GC and ARC and only kept ARC. As
simple as that.

C++ actually has much robust memory management that what
Objective-C had.