D is crap

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 11 09:44:27 PDT 2016

On Monday, 11 July 2016 at 16:26:11 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Happy not to disappoint.  :)

You never disappoint in the GC department ;-)

> OS vendors are the ones that eventually decided what is a
> systems programming language on their OSes.

To a large extent on Apple and Microsoft OSes. Not so much on
open source OSes as you are not tied down to binary blobs.

> And if they say so, like Apple is nowadays doing with Swift,
> developers will have no option other than accept it or move to
> other platform, regardless of their opinion what features a
> systems programming languages should offer.

It is true that there have been policy changes which makes it
difficult to access features like GPU and Audio on OS-X/iOS
without touching Objective-C or Swift. You don't have to use it
much, but you need some binding stubs in Objective-C or
Objective-C++ if you want to be forward compatible (i.e. link on
future versions of the OS without recompiling).

But I _have_ noticed that Apple increasingly is making low level
setup only available through Objective-C/Swift. It is probably a
lock-in strategy to raise porting costs to Android.

> Just like C developers that used to bash C++, now have to
> accept the two biggest C compilers are written in the language
> they love to hate.

There was a thread on reddit recently where some Microsoft
employees admitted that parts of Windows now is implemented in
C++ and C#, IIRC. I believe it is parts that run in user mode as
separate processes, but still...