D is crap

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 11 20:25:38 PDT 2016

On Monday, 11 July 2016 at 18:14:11 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Actually NeXTStep drivers were written in Objective-C.

NeXT was a cool concept, but it was sad that  they picked such an
annoying language to build it.

> They are not alone, as of Android N, Google is making it pretty
> clear that if one tries to circuvent the constrained set of NDK
> APIs and workaround the JNI to
> access existing shared objects, the application will be simply
> be killed.

I don't do Android programming, but NDK is actually fairly rich
in comparison to Apple OSes without Objective-C bindings AFAIK.
The problem seems to be more in the varying hardware
configurations / quality of implementation.

Not using Java on Android sounds like a PITA to be honest.

> If you check the latest BUILD, the current approach being
> evangelised is .NET Native for 90% of the code, C++/CX or plain
> C++ with WRL for glueing to low level code until C# gets the
> missing features from System C#, and C++ for everything else.

I don't know much about .NET Native, does it apply to or will
they bring it to .NET Core?

A change in recent years is that Microsoft appears to invest more
in their C++ offering, so apparently they no longer see C# as a
wholesale replacement.

> The WinRT, User Driver Framework, the new container model and
> Linux subsystem, the Checked C, input to the C++ Core

I haven't paid much attention to WinRT lately, they have a Linux
subsystem?