Vision for the D language - stabilizing complexity?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 11 21:52:14 PDT 2016

On 7/11/2016 7:46 PM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Monday, 11 July 2016 at 22:09:11 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> at one or more of the factors, Scheme included. Not Prolog either, a
>> singularly useless, obscure and failed language.
>
> Err... Prolog is in use and has been far more influential on the state
> of art

"Prolog and other logic programming languages have not had a significant
impact on the computer industry in general."

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolog#Limitations

So, no.

> than C++ or D ever will.

I'm afraid that is seriously mistaken about C++'s influence on the state
of the art, in particular compile time polymorphism and the work of Igor
Stepanov, and D's subsequent influence on C++.

Also, although C++ did not invent OOP, OOP's late 1980s surge in use,
popularity, and yes, *influence* was due entirely to C++. I was there,
in the center of that storm. Other languages fell all over themselves to
add OOP extensions due to this. Java, Pascal, C#, etc. owe their OOP
abilities to C++'s influence. Even Fortran got on the bandwagon.