Vision for the D language - stabilizing complexity?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 11 22:42:25 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 12 July 2016 at 05:30:57 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/11/2016 10:01 PM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
>> Of course logic programming has had a big impact on state of
>> the art.
>>
>> Prolog -> Datalog
>> Datalog -> magic sets
>> magic sets -> inference engines
>> inference engines  -> static analysis
>>
>> And that is only a small part of it.
>
> Can you trace any Prolog innovations in
> C/C++/Java/C#/Go/Rust/D/Swift/Javascript/Fortran/Lisp?

I think you are taking the wrong view here. Logic programming is
a generalized version of functional programming where you can
have complex expressions in the left hand side. It is basically
unification:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unification_(computer_science)#Application:_Unification_in_logic_programming

So yes, many languages are drawing on those principles in their
type systems.