Card on fire

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 12 05:12:15 PDT 2016

On 7/12/16 7:51 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2016-07-12 11:06, Chris wrote:
>
>> I turn it off every day.
>
> Sleep can be convenient if you're going to use it later the same day,
> for example.
>
>> If the OS is up too long (several days), it
>> starts to act weirdly and may crash at the most inconvenient time (is
>> there a convenient time for a crash?). All OSes are the same in this
>> respect, I think Windows is the worst, but Linux and OS X are not much
>> better in this respect. Must be some sort of memory pollution.
>
> I use OS X and I don't recognize that problem.

OSX needs a reboot every once in a while. iOS too. In particular, my
bluetooth system will stop working (and then my trackpad no longer
works). Yes, I've tried all the resetting firmware tricks :)

But it's like months between reboots for me. Much better than Windows
ever was. Most of the time, I reboot because of an OS update.

But... I leave my home Mac on all the time. It's one of the auto-tester
nodes. Makes me a tad concerned, though I've never had a computer catch
fire. I've seen etches burn up though when working for a computer
appliance manufacturer. So it does happen. Never caught fire though,
just burned up and stopped working.

-Steve