Card on fire

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 12 05:17:00 PDT 2016

On 7/12/16 7:37 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/12/2016 3:08 AM, Michael wrote:
>> Maybe it's time to invest in some "workstation" / server-grade stuff if
>> it's going to be running continuously with little moving air.
>
> There's still a case fan, cpu fan, and power supply fan, just not one
> dedicated to the card itself. The fire didn't start on the components
> that were attached to the heat sink.
>
> I've run all sorts of computers for 40 years now, have had all sorts of
> hardware failures, and this is the first one that caught fire.
>
> The server hardware I've seen all had very noisy fans. I couldn't bear
> that.

I seriously doubt a fan would stop an electrical fire (in fact, probably
makes it worse). It's not overheating, it's arcing.

BTW, this reminds me of a old goodie:

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/96/Jun/nosmoke.html

A old colleague of mine always said when you see smoke, there's no way
to fix it, because it's really hard to get the smoke back in there.

-Steve