Vision for the D language - stabilizing complexity?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 14 05:12:34 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 14 July 2016 at 11:38:59 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 July 2016 at 17:30:53 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
>
>> Software design is an iterative process because one can't sort
>> everything at once.
>
> Not true. Ola can. :) (I just couldn't resist ...)

I don't have time for a long rant on this... But if you are
designing a truly new langauge  (and D isn't), then you create
prototypes, then you build a framework that is suitable for
evolutionary design, then you spec it, then you try to prove it
sound, then you implement it then you trash it, and redesign it
and write a new spec. Once you have a foundation where most
things can be expressed in libraries you have a good base for
iterating and handing it to the world.

Of course, the first thing you ought to do is to look at existing
knowhow related to language design.

That's a no-brainer.

The alternative, to just iterate, is what gives you languages
like Perl and Php.