Card on fire

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 14 22:10:29 PDT 2016

> Got a text from Walter - his famous fanless graphics card caught fire along with
> the motherboard. He'll be outta commission for a few days. -- Andrei

Back in business now with a new motherboard and new graphics card, which also
wound up forcing a from scratch reinstall of everything.

I didn't lose any files, but the episode did expose some shortcomings of my
backup system, so I'm setting about correcting that. Nothing like searching
everywhere for a missing install CD you haven't seen in years :-(

The award for most painless reinstall goes to Quicken, with Thunderbird Mail
being the first runner up. They still had problems, though.

A raspberry for most painful reinstall (3 hrs) goes to TL_PS110P print server,
in conjunction with Microsoft/HP's terrible support for printer installation
that hasn't improved since 1982 or so.

I'm excluding the pain of Windows reinstall, as it took 14 hours of sitting
there blankly "checking for updates". I wonder what it was possibly doing that
took 14 hours (the disk was fresh, there was nothing to transmit to the NSA).