Card on fire

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 15 15:48:14 PDT 2016

On 7/15/2016 12:46 PM, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Friday, 15 July 2016 at 05:10:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> The absolutely easiest reinstall was dmd - I just copied the directory over
>> from the backup - but I suppose handing out awards to ourselves is a bit
>> narcissistic.
>
> Always nice to dog food every once and a while to confirm it though.
>
> OT: Why is the install process for mac apps so much nicer compared to windows apps?
>
> To install something on OS X, drag the application from the .dmg folder to your
> application folder, and you're done. Windows apps always have me go through a
> multistep "install wizard" that takes anywhere from 2 minutes to a half hour
> depending on the app :/

For a time at Symantec I pushed through making the compiler runnable directly
off of the CD without requiring an installation. Just put the CD in, and you
could do everything (a little slowly, of course, since CDs are slow).

I was bemused by so many people who simply could not accept that this could even
work, they were so conditioned by installation programs. If I wasn't paying
attention, Symantec would revert to type and require an installation program for
it. :-)