Card on fire

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 15 17:06:37 PDT 2016

On 7/15/2016 3:55 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Friday, 15 July 2016 at 22:48:14 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> For a time at Symantec I pushed through making the compiler runnable directly
>> off of the CD without requiring an installation.
>
> Fun fact: this was basically THE killer feature of the Digital Mars compiler for
> me way back when. I started on a school computer where I couldn't install
> anything, and later, when I got a home computer, I kept it on disc.
>
> To this day, I still use dmd the same way: unzip it and call the program
> in-place instead of trying to install it.

Nice to hear that!

BTW, even if an app requires all sorts of registry settings, that is still no
excuse. Have a config file, and when the app starts up, it looks for the
registry settings. If not there, it reads the config file, and sets the registry
settings. I.e. it self-installs.

Every app should have a "Backup/restore all my data/settings to/from a single
file" menu item. That's what's wrong with Thunderbird, who does something even
stupider by putting the data in hidden directories.