[OT] Windows install

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 15 22:41:49 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:33:05PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 7/15/2016 10:09 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > Even though Linux sucks too, at least it doesn't force-install
> > newer, more broken versions of itself without you asking for it.
>
> You have to go into the windows update menu and select the only install
> critical updates.

So I found out after the fact. :-(  It wasn't something my wife would've
been capable of doing. And I don't use Windows nearly often enough to
justify spending the time to learn about obscure things like this. (In
fact, about the only things I ever run on Windows are putty and firefox.
:P  All my "serious" work is done on my Linux PC, usually remotely via
ssh.)

> I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10, and after using it for a bit
> decided to keep my main dev machine on 7.

Wise man. ;-)

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid. -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)