Vision for the D language - stabilizing complexity?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 15 23:40:31 PDT 2016

On 7/15/2016 11:04 PM, Andrew Godfrey wrote:
> Ok. Well, when you and Shachar were arguing, it still doesn't seem like Shachar
> was talking about @safe code specifically. I can't wrap my mind around wanting a
> "logical const" feature usable in @safe context; you could already use @system
> for those cases.

@system provides a way around the type system, and offers fewer guarantees, sort
of "use at your own risk". But use of @system is checkable, and when used
properly only a small percentage of the code should be in @system functions.

But in C++, everything is @system. I'm not sure how people successfully create
enormous programs with it. I do know that the makers of add-on checkers like
Coverty make bank. I once told a Coverity salesman that the purpose of D was to
put Coverity (and its competitors) out of business :-) I saw him again a couple
years later and he remembered me and that line!