Vision for the D language - stabilizing complexity?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 15 23:50:24 PDT 2016

On 7/15/2016 11:28 PM, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> First of all, it sounds like you envision that everyone will solely be using the
> D supplied allocators, and no one will be writing their own.

There won't be anything stopping anyone from writing their own allocators, just
like there's nothing stopping one from writing their own sine and cosine
functions. I'm well aware that systems programmers like to write their own
allocators.

> But even if this turns out to be an adequate replacement for all the cases in
> which I'd want to use intrusive reference counting in C++ (unlikely), that only
> works for my first example, not my second one.

You mean move semantics? You can't move anything if there are existing pointers
to it that can't be changed automatically.