Go's march to low-latency GC

The D dude via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 16 13:52:32 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 16 July 2016 at 11:02:00 UTC, thedeemon wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 July 2016 at 10:58:47 UTC, Istvan Dobos wrote:
>>  I was thinking, okay, so D's GC seems to turned out not that
>> great. But how about the idea of transplanting Rust's
>> ownership system instead of trying to make the GC better?
>
> This requires drastically changing 99% of the language and it's
> bringing not just the benefits but also all the pain coming
> with this ownership system. Productivity goes down, learning
> curve goes up. And it will be a very different language in the
> end, so you might want to just use Rust instead of trying to
> make D another Rust.

Yes that's the case for Rust, but no one has proven yet that an
ownership system needs to such a pain.

In fact someone recently proposed an idea for a readable
ownership system:

http://forum.dlang.org/post/ensdiijttlpcwuhdfpuu@forum.dlang.org

and I believe that it's quite possible to improve over Rust and
still having a productive language. In fact the simple `scope`
statements are a first and excellent step on this journey ;-)