What is the current progress on "Safety and Memory Management"?

maik klein via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 16 14:45:17 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 16 July 2016 at 20:38:05 UTC, The D dude wrote:
> On Friday, 15 July 2016 at 12:59:39 UTC, maik klein wrote:
>> https://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2016H2
>>
>> Safety and Memory Management
>>
>> Safety and making the GC optional remain important concerns
>> through the end of this year. We are putting them together
>> because the GC alternatives we endorse must address safety.
>>

>> Has there been any progress so far? Are there any DIPs to
>> improve no gc code?
>
> I can see these two:
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP18 (a bit outdated)
> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP68
>
> I can remember that there was talk about making allow to use a
> custom allocator with `new`, but I haven't seen a proposal yet.
>
> I do encourage you to volunteer, doing the research &
> submitting your idea(s) for a change ;-)

I was actually thinking of contributing something bigger as part
of my bachelor thesis. (Not sure if I am allowed to do that)

What I wanted to do is to translate a big part of Rust's std to
D. Stuff like Rc, Arc, Box, Optional + all the necessary tools
for ownership semantics.

Also implement data structures that work with ownership semantics
(Rc, Box, Arc etc)  like Vec, HashMap.

Add ownership semantics to phobos, for example a lot of stuff in
phobos can't be used with non copyable types. (A lot of things
rely on copying)

I have already implemented a small part of Rusts std but it felt
like that I was the only one interested in this. (I am aware of
RefCounted, Unique, Nullable etc)

I would definitely put some spare time into researching this a
bit more if there is some interest.