Vision for the D language - stabilizing complexity?

Andrew Godfrey via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 16 19:17:52 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 16 July 2016 at 21:35:41 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/16/2016 6:09 AM, Andrew Godfrey wrote:
>> Walter called Prolog "singularly useless". You have been
>> referring to changes
>> that would amount to a new major version of D as "a cleanup".
>> From the forums,
>> my sense is that there IS a groundswell of opinion, that D2
>> has some major
>> mistakes in it that can't be rectified without doing a D3, and
>> there's a strong
>> reaction to that idea based on experience with D1 -> D2.
>> Perhaps what is needed
>> is a separate area for discussion about ideas that would
>> require a major version
>> change. The thing about that is that it can't be done
>> incrementally; it's the
>> rare kind of thing that would need to be planned long in
>> advance, and would have
>> to amount to a huge improvement to justify even considering it.
>
> I agree that D2 has made some fundamental mistakes. But it also
> got a great deal right.
>
> I haven't banned Ola from the forums, he has done nothing to
> deserve that. He's welcome to post here, and others are welcome
> to engage him.

I'm more interested in engaging on "in how many years will the D
leadership be interested in engaging on the topic of D3?" I feel
this is a significant omission from the vision doc, and that
omission inflames a lot of the recurring animosity I see on the
forums. Even an answer of "never" would be a significant
improvement over "we refuse to engage on that". And I doubt
you're really thinking "never".

I do think that ideas from academia will mostly cause a lot of
unwanted noise in such a discussion - because academia, in my
experience, is more focused on "software construction" than on
"software evolution", and D takes an approach that is built on
practical experience with evolution. But academia also has
occasional nuggets of extreme value.