D's exact stack convention for D and C/C++

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 17 02:13:06 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 17 July 2016 at 01:30:31 UTC, Adam Sansier wrote:

> Forget all that, What I'm really interested in is the exact
> calling conventions used in D and C and C++ and what they mean
> so I can make sure I know whats going on, cause something funky
> is happening and it's not on my end(I'm not messing with the
> order of this stuff directly).

If you don't use naked asm, you won't have to know this. And you
get other benefits like being able to use the same x86 code
across OSes (and sometimes across x86 and x86_64).

The problem with calling conventions is that they can be sublty
different eg. between OS X and Linux 64-bit. It's a big trap that
is worth avoiding.