Our docs should be more beautiful

bitwise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 18 15:57:13 PDT 2016

On Monday, 18 July 2016 at 22:24:09 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 18 July 2016 at 22:13:35 UTC, bitwise wrote:
>> Any chance of getting one definition or overload-set per page?
>
> Both the ddox pages at /library and my pages at dpldocs.info do
> it this way. The ddox ones are supposed to be made default
> eventually.
>
> http://dlang.org/phobos/std_algorithm_searching.html#.balancedParens
> vs
> http://dlang.org/library/std/algorithm/searching/balanced_parens.html
> vs
> http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/std.algorithm.searching.balancedParens.html

Ok, so I'm a little late to the party as usual ;)

This one is pretty much what I'm talking about, except for a few
things:
http://dlang.org/library/std/algorithm/searching.html

1) The page heading is confusing. I would either remove "Module",
"Template", etc completely, or put them on their own line:

current:
Module std.algorithm.searching

to:
std.algorithm.searching
Module

or(like dpldocs):
std.algorithm.searching

2) I much prefer the navigation structure of the dpldocs as well,
in that it only shows the parent scope of whatever you're looking
at instead of the current tree structure. At most, I would prefer
two levels maximum. Also, I like that top level packages like
(std) have a standard looking page like their inner
modules(http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/std.html). I think
having the entire hierarchy look standard from root to leaf is
important.

3) I like the fonts better on the dpldocs, but I think I prefer
the current color scheme.

It would be nice to see these changes merged into the beta
library reference.

Thanks,
   Bit