The case for small diffs in Pull Requests

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 19 01:30:21 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 08:08:21 qznc via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> This feels like a fight against the Github UI to me. The atomic
> unit is the pull request, not the commits.

To some extent, that's true, but you _can_ look at each individual commit in
the github UI if you want to. It just isn't the default view. However, since
you're ultimely pulling all of the commits together (whether it's 1 or 10+),
you have to look at the full diff anyway. The only way to actually get the
diff down in terms of what the reviewers have to review is to have less in
the PR in the first place, regardless of the number of commits. Any work
that requires a lot of changes at once is always going to be problematic.
The thing that will likely make the most difference is to split up work
across several PRs when it doesn't need to be together. Some PRs will always
need to be large though just by the nature of the work that's being done.

- Jonathan M Davis