Vision for the D language - stabilizing complexity?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 19 02:49:50 PDT 2016

On Monday, 18 July 2016 at 18:03:49 UTC, Mathias Lang wrote:
> digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>:
>

> I've never seen a definitive "No" to breaking changes.
> We do breaking changes all the time. Did everyone already
> forget what the
> latest release (2.071.0) was about ? Revamping the import
> system, one of
> the core component of the language.
> But it took a lot of time, and experience, to do it. It did
> deprecate
> patterns people were using for a long time before (e.g.
> inheriting
> imports), but its a (almost) consistent and principled
> implementation.

Although it can be a PITA, people accept breaking changes, if
they really make sense.

> Way too often I see suggestions for a change with one (or more)
> of the
> following mistakes:
> - Want to bring a specific construct in the language rather
> than achieve a
> goal
> - Only consider the pros of such a proposal and completely skip
> any cons
> analysis
> - Focus on one single change without considering how it could
> affect the
> whole language

That's also my impression. Given that D is open source I'm
surprised that nobody has grabbed it and come up with a prototype
of D3 or whatever. How else could you prove your case? After all
the onus of proof is on the one who proposes a change. Don't just
sit and wait until Walter says "Go ahead", knowing full well that
the core devs are in no position to dedicate time to D3 at the
moment - that's too easy and it gets us nowhere.