The case for small diffs in Pull Requests

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 21 11:57:13 PDT 2016

On Monday, 18 July 2016 at 22:30:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> https://medium.com/@kurtisnusbaum/large-diffs-are-hurting-your-ability-to-ship-e0b2b41e8acf#.h3eo1yvqv
>
> I've been advocating for a while now that PRs should be small,
> incremental, encapsulated and focused. This has not been
> without controversy. I hope the referenced article is a bit
> more eloquent and convincing than I have been.

In my experience, the number of commits in a pull request is
irrelevant. You can always merge the entire pull request with
`git merge --squash` instead, and if you have the luxury of
merging via GitHub as I do in my day job, you can even do that
via GitHub now.

What is definitely relevant is the lines of code. Once a pull
request becomes too large, the probability that it will be merged
decreases. At least that has been my experience. I agree that
incremental changes are much more likely too succeed than large
comprehensive changes. However, exceptions do have to be made,
because there are some tasks which just cannot be completely
incrementally, though they may be rare.

Just my two cents.