Should I write an OSC library for D, or is it a sunken ship?

lqjglkqjsg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 24 10:02:08 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 24 July 2016 at 16:01:39 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 July 2016 at 15:48:22 UTC, lqjglkqjsg wrote:
>> On Sunday, 24 July 2016 at 15:33:24 UTC, solidstate1991 wrote:
>>> After I started to get into a near usable state with my game
>>> engine, which originally called as VDP-engine, now it's
>>> renamed to Pixel Perfect (
>>> https://github.com/ZILtoid1991/VDP-engine ), I was thinking
>>> on creating some software synths, but I find the conventional
>>> midi lacking in feature. After some research on the web, I
>>> found Open Sound Control as a perfect candidate, however it's
>>> not only lacks a standard namespace, but also barely
>>> supported.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I want to code something else besides my
>>> engine (although I think I'll publish the Extendible Bitmap
>>> (a bitmap file format capable of storing multiple images and
>>> animations in a single file) as a separate library), etc. I
>>> even thinking about creating an OSC file, similar to midi
>>> files with its own editor. Or should I write a framework
>>> instead with nice retro aesthetics? I already wrote one for
>>> my engine, so I can have a nice windowing framework for the
>>> engine's editor, although it lacks functionality and uses the
>>> CPU for drawing.
>>
>> The problem is that OSC is not used at all. People still use
>> MIDI. e.g all the master keyboards, drum pads, control
>> surfaces, etc. communicates in MIDI (unless this has changed
>> since I left in 2012).
>
> Well the X32 mixer uses OSC.  I actually started writing a
> little program that would use MULTICAST to send all the live
> mixer data to the network connected devices instead of
> resending it to each device individually.  Never finished it,
> but there's one application for it.
>
> https://github.com/marler8997/castosc
>
> But OSC is definitely the second fiddle to MIDI :)

And inside software ? The only one I remember for implementing
OSC was Reaktor. actually even the hosts didn't implement it.
MIDI can't die because people still use their old gears (and will
still...). I was myself using a Sy77 as master keyboard (so mid
90, no OSC), a Roland machine drum as sequencer and MIDI pads (so
mid 80, no OSC)...etc, I can say that so few people were using it
that i can even remember forum posts where people talked about
that, even almost a decade after, for example the guy who used
OSC in reaktor to send a character police to an event table that
was used to draw advanced text...mostly some experimental
bullshits.

That said MIDI has obvious/well known problems. For example for
certain parameters two CC must be used to get more accuracy. When
you think that softsynth parameters are usually stored in a 32
bit float (vs 1 byte for MIDI !).