D for competitive programming

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 28 14:52:58 PDT 2016

On 7/28/16 5:20 PM, urxvt1 wrote:
> I wanted to try topcoder problems (never used this site before)
> and I found out that it doesn't support dlang.
> They only have c++, java, c#, vb.net, python languages.
> It would be great to see D on this list.
> I found this thread
> https://apps.topcoder.com/forums/?module=Thread&threadID=703674 and it
> seems that it's not that easy to add new langauge and they are not very
> interested.
> And I think that one of the keys to make D more popular and attract more
> people
> to try it would be to promote D as a language for learning algorithms
> and competitive programming. This niche is mostly occupied by c++ and java.
> I think that D might be a very good candidate to push these languages in
> CP.

I used to be very into topcoder a long time ago and have some inside
knowledge of how the system works (I used to write problem sets for
them, and even extended their java app a couple times). They are likely
not going to take a look at D because their main goal is one of matching
high-demand component developers with buyers for those components. This
is why you see those languages as the main pieces. I doubt D would fit
in there. We need to make D more popular so they have no choice but to
add it :)

I believe they added C++ (it used to be Java only) to expand their reach
to more developers (at the time, topcoder just did job searching, or
maybe not even yet, it was very early), I don't know if they have a C++
component system.

-Steve