Vision for the D language - stabilizing complexity?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 31 11:05:20 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 21 July 2016 at 16:39:18 UTC, Andrew Godfrey wrote:
> You seem to be assuming that everyone already agrees on which
> set of changes should be made to the language. (Otherwise, how
> could you expect anyone to "officially back" a side project?)
>
> But agreeing on which changes to make and, especially, which to
> NOT make, is the hard part. And it's why you'd need a lot of
> planning & discussion up front (if any of us non-founders
> wanted to participate). And many people don't understand this,
> which IMO is behind a lot of hard feelings in the forums.

The basic idea would be not to radically change the language, but
come down to a clean core and build the existing useful concepts
on top of that core.

A year ago or so it was claimed that the compiler core would
would be refactored and before that it was asked in the forum if
current users would prefer non-breaking changes or a clean up. My
impression was that the majority was willing to take some
breaking changes in order to get a more streamlined experience.

Anyway, it is summertime, maybe we can discuss this later in the
autumn ;-).

(I don't have time to follow the forums.)