Dealing with Autodecode

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 1 21:42:49 PDT 2016

On 6/1/2016 8:51 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 at 02:36:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> PRs please!
>
> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/4384
>
> You'll notice it is closed.
>
> Now, that one wasn't meant to be merged anyway, but Andrei seems to have zero
> interest in actually accepting the change. That doesn't encourage further work.

Andrei is in favor of fixing Phobos so it does not depend on autodecode. He is,
however, rightfully concerned about the extent of breakage that would happen if
autocode were removed. So am I.

Interestingly, when I tried to remove autodecoding from path/file code a couple
years ago, I received quite a bit of resistance. It seems there's been a
tectonic shift in opinion on autodecode.

What I'd like to see, that we all agree on, is progress in removing autodecode
reliance from Phobos. Let's see what it takes.