Dealing with Autodecode

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 2 00:21:28 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 at 06:53:49 UTC, poliklosio wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 June 2016 at 00:14:30 UTC, Seb wrote:
>
>> Just FYI after a short period of ten hours we got the
>> following 45 responses:
>>
>> Yes, with fire! (hobby user)
>>     77% (35)
>> Yeah remove that special behavior (professional user)
>>     35% (16)
>> Wait that is what auto decoding is? wah ugh...
>>     8%  (4)
>> I don't always decode codeunits, but when I do I use byDChar
>> already  6%  (3)
>
> You failed to mention that there were additional answers:
>
> Auto-decoding is great!
> 0% (0)
> No, please don't break my code.
> 0% (0)
>
> I think those zeroes are actually the most important part of
> the results. :)

It has been noted many times that forum users are a small part of
the D userbase, likely the ones who are the most interested in
evolving the language and thus biased towards changes.  As a
forum user myself, I'm in that group too and agree with Walter
that D programmers should be guided by Phobos to explicitly
declare what level of decoding they want, but this poll may not
be representative of the wider userbase.

We'll likely only find out what they think once we're a couple
dmd releases into these changes, as Walter found when he
submitted PRs for file/path code sometime back.