Dealing with Autodecode

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 2 08:26:12 PDT 2016

On Thursday, June 02, 2016 10:29:28 Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> The real ticket out of this is RCStr. It solves a major problem in the
> language (compulsive GC) and also a minor occasional annoyance
> (autodecoding).

Unless we're outright getting rid of string, char[], wstring, etc., RCStr
clearly doesn't solve the auto-decoding problem. It will allow a lot of code
to sidestep it, but the existing types will continue to exist and be used
and have to deal with auto-decoding. And every function that works on
strings that cares about efficiency is going to have to continue to special
case strings to avoid auto-decoding.

- Jonathan M Davis