Why does DMD on Debian need xdg-utils

ZombineDev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 2 11:17:37 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 at 18:04:43 UTC, flamencofantasy wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 June 2016 at 17:54:07 UTC, ZombineDev wrote:
>> On Thursday, 2 June 2016 at 17:36:46 UTC, flamencofantasy
>> wrote:
>>> DMD on debian depends on the xdg-utils package.
>>>
>>> When I install xdg-utils I get many more packages (see bottom
>>> of message).
>>>
>>> Is that really necessary?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> It shouldn't be necessary. It's probably a packaging issue.
>> Meanwhile, you can try the install.sh script on listed on
>> http://dlang.org/download. It shouldn't have any unnecessary
>> dependencies.
>
> Thanks, but does the script handle upgrades?

Yes. It also supports multiple versions side by side and also
installs dub. You can find the source here:
https://github.com/dlang/installer/blob/master/script/install.sh

Example usage:

# Install dmd 2.70.0
~/dlang/install.sh install dmd-2.70.0

# Install dmd 2.69.0
~/dlang/install.sh install dmd-2.69.0

# start using version 2.70.0
activate ~/dlang/dmd-2.70.0

# stop using version 2.70.0
deactivate

# start using version 2.69.0
activate ~/dlang/dmd-2.69.0

# stop using version 2.69.0
deactivate

# uninstall version 2.69.0
~/dlang/install.sh uninstall dmd-2.69.0

# removes everything installed so far
rm -rf ~/dlang

# downloads (again) the install script and
# installs the latest stable version of the compiler.
curl -fsS https://dlang.org/install.sh | bash -s dmd