The Case Against Autodecode

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 2 11:36:39 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 at 16:12:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Would you realistically have advised me to merge it?

Not at this time, no, but I also wouldn't advise you to close it
and tell us to stop trying if you were actually open to a chance.

You closed that and posted this at about the same time:

http://forum.dlang.org/post/nii497$2p79$1@digitalmars.com

"I'm not going to debate this further"

"What's important is that autodecoding is here to stay - there's
no realistic way to eliminate it from D."

So, what do you seriously expect us to think? We had a migration
plan and enough excitement to start working on the code, then
within about 15 minutes of each other, you close the study PR and
post that the discussion is over and your mistake is here to stay.

> I'm not sure who "all" is but that's beside the point.

This sentence makes me pretty mad too. This topic has come up
many times and nobody, NOBODY, with the exception of yourself
agrees with the current behavior anymore. It is a very frequently
asked question among new users, and we have no real justification
because there is no technical merit to it.